Historic Charleston Foundation logo

images banner
images banner small

Items with Images Only
Search Hints: To search by phrase wrap your criteria in quotes. ex: "Find me". Hover over image thumbnails to view captions.

3818 results found. Records searched: 3818

Image of St. Michael's Church Souvenir Card - 1887

St. Michael's Church Souvenir Card - 1887

Souvenir card for St. Michael's Church. The front features a photograph of the west (front) elevation of the Church, taken after the 1886 Earthquake, showing the view from the lot across the street where the old police station stood before it was destroyed by the earthquake; debris from the destroyed building can be seen in for foreground. A portion of Broad Street to the north of the Church is also in view at the left; a trolley car is on the str ...

Record Type: Photo

Image of Panorama from South Battery, Charleston, S.C. - late 19th c.

Panorama from South Battery, Charleston, S.C. - late 19th c.

Glass lantern slide of the view looking north from the Battery Carriage House Inn (20 South Battery). Landmarks include First Scots Presbyterian Church, St. Michael's Church, and St. Philip's Church. Also featured is the rear portion of 11 Meeting Street and its original dependency (center), a building was later either removed and or radically altered. "Lantern Slides / American Scenery" on frame. Labeled on back "178. Panorama from South Batte ...

Record Type: Photo

Image of Wade Hampton Monument (and 334 Meeting Street) - ca. 1940s

Wade Hampton Monument (and 334 Meeting Street) - ca. 1940s

Photograph (scan) of the Wade Hampton Monument at Marion Square. The house that was at 334 Meeting Street prior to the construction of the Federal Building, and its neighbors on either side, are in the background.

Record Type: Photo

Image of "Old Cooper River Bridges": John P. Grace Memorial Bridge / Silas N. Pearman Bridge - 1970

"Old Cooper River Bridges": John P. Grace Memorial Bridge / Silas N. Pearman Bridge - 1970

Two color slides (scans) of the old Cooper River Bridges, both demolished ca. 2005: a: View looking west through the bridge supports of the Silas N. Pearman Bridge. Port of Charleston in background. b: View (looking west) of the John P. Grace Memorial Bridge (right) and the Silas N. Pearman Bridge (left).

Record Type: Photo

Image of Ship Docked at Port of Charleston - 1970

Ship Docked at Port of Charleston - 1970

Color slide (scan) of a ship docked at the Port of Charleston, with a view of several buildings including the Francis Marion Hotel, Mendel Rivers Building (a/k/a Federal Building), St. Matthews Lutheran Church, Second Presbyterian Church, and Citadel Square Baptist Church.

Record Type: Photo

Image of Charleston Municipal Auditorium (a/k/a Gaillard Auditorium) - 1970

Charleston Municipal Auditorium (a/k/a Gaillard Auditorium) - 1970

Color slide (scan) of the Charleston Municipal Auditorium (a/k/a Gaillard Auditorium). Marquee in front: "Welcome Home Porgy and Bess." Date embossed on original slide: July 1970.

Record Type: Photo

Image of Condon's Department Store (431 King Street) - ca. 1940s

Condon's Department Store (431 King Street) - ca. 1940s

Photograph (scan) of Condon's Department Store (431 King) located at the northwest corner of King and Warren Streets, featuring the lower portion of the bulding. Sign for "Selby Arch Preserver / Condon's" projects from the corner of the building. The letters spelling out Condon's on the building's canopy are also in view (only the ON'S is visible in the photo). Also in view is a portion of the building across the street (427 King Street); this bui ...

Record Type: Photo

Image of Looking South on King Street from Hasell Street (240-254 King Street) - ca. 1940s

Looking South on King Street from Hasell Street (240-254 King Street) - ca. 1940s

Photograph (scan) of the east side of King Street looking south from just above Hasell Street, showing the buildings from 254 King Street down to 240 King Street. Features (left-to-right): Lazarus Hardware (254 King Street), Emily [dress shop?] (252 King Street), C.B. Prentiss & Co. Rugs and Draperies (250 King Street), and J.C. Penney's (240 King Street). 254 King Street is extant; however, Charleston Place now stands on the site of the other bui ...

Record Type: Photo