Historic Charleston Foundation logo

images banner
images banner small

Associated Records

Image of 91 Anson Street (St. John's Reformed Episcopal Church) - Property File

91 Anson Street (St. John's Reformed Episcopal Church) - Property File

Church constructed 1850 with alterations in 1887; rectory and school constructed ca. 1850, 1887; garden established 1991. Possessing a most diverse history, the Gothic Revival church on this site has served slave and free black Presbyterians, Irish Catholics, and, more recently, African American Reformed Episcopalians. The Presbyterians constructed the building as the Anson Street Chapel for black members who later moved to Calhoun Street. A rectory was established in the older single house next door. The church building was heavily damaged by shells in the siege of Charleston. Initially repaired in 1866, the chancel, roof, and interior were rebuilt in 1883 with the addition of transepts