Historic Charleston Foundation logo

images banner
images banner small

Associated Records

Image of 79-81 East Bay Street (Lindsay Bulwinkle Property) - Property File

79-81 East Bay Street (Lindsay Bulwinkle Property) - Property File

Constructed 1845, 1778-85 respectively; renovated 1887, 1953, early 1980s. Lots 7 and 8 of the original Grand Modell served as the site for a succession of commercial and residential buildings. Earlier structures were destroyed in the fires of 1740 and 1778. The northernmost section at 81 East Bay street was formerly occupied by a brick house and countinghouse built by Robet Lindsay that stood 3½ stories high. Much of this building collapsed in the earthquake of 1886. The first 2 floors of 79 East Bay Street were part of a corner 2-story grocery store operated by Henry Bulwinkle and later operated by John Henry Klenke. The Gaud School used the building from 1940 to 1953, but it was converted

Image of 79-81 East Bay Street (Lindsay-Bulwinkle Property) - ca. 1996

79-81 East Bay Street (Lindsay-Bulwinkle Property) - ca. 1996

Street evation (southeast corner). Three other nearly identical photos in sleeve.

Image of 79-81 East Bay Street (Lindsay-Bulwinkle Property) - 1982

79-81 East Bay Street (Lindsay-Bulwinkle Property) - 1982

Color photographic slide of 79-81 East Bay Street (Lindsay-Bulwinkle Property), part of Rainbow Row. Date-stamped Feb. 1982.

Image of 79-81 East Bay Street After Hurricane Hugo - 1989

79-81 East Bay Street After Hurricane Hugo - 1989

Kodachrome slide of 79-81 East Bay Street, after Hurricane Hugo. Date-stamped Oct. 89. Part of the Hurricane Hugo Damage Assessment Survey.