Historic Charleston Foundation logo

images banner
images banner small

Items with Images Only
Search Hints: To search by phrase wrap your criteria in quotes. ex: "Find me". Hover over image thumbnails to view captions.

3104 results found. Records searched: 3104

No Image Available

62 Bull Street - Property File

No house history on file. Needs further research. File contains Rosen and Associates (engineers) inspection report (2010). No image on file.

Object Type: Archive

Image of 66 Bull Street (John Cart House) - Property File

66 Bull Street (John Cart House) - Property File

Constructed ca. 1819. John Cart, a prosperous fuel merchant dealing in lumber and coal, built this three-bay 2½-story Charleston single house nearly two decades after acquiring the lot through the will of his sister-in-law Ann Tighe. Although a number of Neoclassical decorations survive on the interior, only the beaded weatherboarding and the nine-over-nine windows on the piazza side evidence the construction date of the house. Greek Revival ch ...

Object Type: Archive

Image of 70 Bull Street  - Property File

70 Bull Street - Property File

Constructed ca. 1939. The house was built for Mr. and Mrs. Ted Schiaderessi. The architect was David Hyer. From November 1991 to May 1992, the house underwent extensive redesign and renovation by architects Clark and Menefee, who designed the Middleton Inn and a number of other well-known projects. The contractor was Richard Marks Restorations. The front hall, living room, dining room, and first-floor bathroom are the only rooms that were not chan ...

Object Type: Archive

Image of 76 Bull Street (Matthewes-Legare House) - Property File

76 Bull Street (Matthewes-Legare House) - Property File

Constructed ca. 1813. This 2½-story plantation-style dwelling wrapped by double-tiered piazzas was built by vendue master and planter George Matthewes. Matthewes previously built 110 Rutledge Avenue and lived on Wentworth Street until he moved to his new house at this address in 1813. After his death in 1815, the house was sold by his daughter to Mrs. Mary Swinton Legare. Her famous son, Hugh Swinton Legare, who was crippled, used this as his ...

Object Type: Archive

Image of 84 Bull Street (Hutchet House) - Property File

84 Bull Street (Hutchet House) - Property File

The builder of this substantial wooden house, on a high brick basement, is undocumented. It was purchased in 1857 by Count Eugene Joseph Huchet, a French nobleman. Tradition says he lost his fortune in a single day's trading in cotton. The house was inherited by his 3 daughters. Miss Naomi Elizabeth Huchet, the last surviving daughter, died in 1932, bequeathing the house as a home for elderly women. The house formerly had a front piazza ...

Object Type: Archive

Image of 30 Charlotte Street (William E. Holmes House) - Property File

30 Charlotte Street (William E. Holmes House) - Property File

This 2½-story wooden single house was built in 1882 by William E. Holmes, an East Bay paint and oil merchant, as rental property. Holmes lived next door at 32 Charlotte Street at the time. File contain newspaper article (DYKYC).

Object Type: Archive

Image of 96 Bull Street (Isaac Bennett House) - Property File

96 Bull Street (Isaac Bennett House) - Property File

Constructed ca. 1815; rehabilitated and restored mid-20th century. This Federal style single house raised on a high foundation, with its one-story piazza accessed from a piazza screen and an ascending wooden staircase, retains some of the most unusual Neoclassical decoration in this area of Charleston. The main body of the house, with its black cypress weatherboarding that has a beveled edge, terminates in a frieze and cornice with an Adamesque ...

Object Type: Archive

Image of 99 Bull Street (Francis Warrington Dawson House) - Property File

99 Bull Street (Francis Warrington Dawson House) - Property File

Constructed ca. 1854; altered ca. 1887; rehabilitated 1984. Frederick Richards, a prosperous merchant-tailor, owned and occupied the nucleus of this substantial masonry dwelling before the War Between the States. The British born Francis Warrington Dawson purchased this dwelling in the 1870s at the same time he was forming the present day "Post and Courier." Dawson championed numerous liberal causes as a newspaper editor, including a ban on du ...

Object Type: Archive