Historic Charleston Foundation logo

images banner
images banner small

Items with Images Only
Search Hints: To search by phrase wrap your criteria in quotes. ex: "Find me". Hover over image thumbnails to view captions.

3104 results found. Records searched: 3104

Image of 255 King Street - Property File

255 King Street - Property File

No building history on file. Needs further research. File photocopy of photograph of building and its neighbors, 251 King Street and 253 King Street. Image in this record is from document in the Property File.

Object Type: Archive

Image of 256 King Street - Property File

256 King Street - Property File

Greek Revival commercial-residential structure built in 1839 by William H. Jones, who purchased the property from the family of Moses Levy who built 254 King Street and owned 256 King Street at the time of the 1838 fire. File contains newspaper article (1982 DYKYC). No photos on file (except as appears in street scene). Image in this record is from document in the Property File.

Object Type: Archive

Image of 257 King Street (Stephen Thomas Building) / 259 King Street / 261 King Street - Property File

257 King Street (Stephen Thomas Building) / 259 King Street / 261 King Street - Property File

Demolished to make way for F.W. Woolworth store. No additional building history on file; needs further research. File contains newspaper article; description of Stephen Thomas Jr. & Bro. Jewelers (257 King Street); advertisement for D. Vogt Druggist and Apothecary (261 King Street) from the Business Guide of Charleston (ca. 1889).

Object Type: Archive

Image of 274 Ashley Avenue - Property File

274 Ashley Avenue - Property File

One-story wood frame, wood-sided house built ca. 1902. No additional house history on file. Needs further research. File contains Rosen and Associates (engineers) inspection report (2002).

Object Type: Archive

Image of 260 King Street (Kerrison Dry Goods Building) - Property File

260 King Street (Kerrison Dry Goods Building) - Property File

Constructed ca. 1920; storefront rehabilitated 1996-97. Kerrison's Dry Goods spent its early years, after its founding in 1830, at the site of the Riviera Theater. It took over new quarters in the 1860s on Hasell Street. The latter building was enlarged in 1920 with the 4-story yellow brick section facing King Street. The first floor storefront, infilled with architectural glasswork, provided the chief ornamentation for the otherwise simple fa ...

Object Type: Archive

Image of 265-267 King Street (George Cook Studio Building) - Property File

265-267 King Street (George Cook Studio Building) - Property File

Constructed ca. 1840; rehabilitated 1995. This front-facing Classical Revival style building, with arched windows at the south end of the front facade and in the center, served as the studio for Charleston's most prominent mid-19th century photographer, George Cook. His record photographs of Charleston following the earthquake of 1886 remain the best documentation of that natural disaster. Cook later moved to Richmond, Virginia and expanded his ...

Object Type: Archive

Image of 268 King Street (John Thompson Building) - Property File

268 King Street (John Thompson Building) - Property File

Constructed ca. 1850; first floor rehabilitated mid-1980s. John Thompson's seed store occupied this building in 1850. Its successor company, William McIntosh Co., continued on the site until 1968. During the McIntosh occupancy a rusticated limestone facade with flat headed windows and corbeled parapet were added to the front of the structure. File contains photocopy of advertisement from a business directory (title not indicated); photocopy of ...

Object Type: Archive

Image of 273 King Street (Parish-Poincignon Building) - Property File

273 King Street (Parish-Poincignon Building) - Property File

Constructed ca. 1840; rehabilitated 1987-88. Long considered to be one of Charleston's most commanding corner commercial structures, this building was begun as early as the 1830s when it was owned by Daniel Parish and stood as a 3-story, square-ended store and dwelling. Owned in the 1850s by the Charleston real estate magnate Etienne Poincignon, the building passed through his descendants, the McNulty and the Storen families, until the 1980s. For ...

Object Type: Archive