Historic Charleston Foundation logo

images banner
images banner small

Items with Images Only
Search Hints: To search by phrase wrap your criteria in quotes. ex: "Find me". Hover over image thumbnails to view captions.

3104 results found. Records searched: 3104

Image of 172 Broad Street (Simons House) - Property File

172 Broad Street (Simons House) - Property File

Constructed 1894-1895 for prominent local attorney James Simons and his wife Elizabeth P. Simons who acquired the lot from Simon Fogarty in the early 1890s. The house was erected in a flamboyant Queen Anne style popular in the late Victorian period. The house was later used as four separate apartments but restored to a single-family home by the current owners. The house is a 2½-story wood frame dwelling resting on a continuous brick found ...

Object Type: Archive

No Image Available

173 Broad Street (Prioleau-Miles House) - Property File

Constructed ca. 1873. Although built by a member of the Prioleau family, this house was acquired in the 1880s by C. Richardson Miles, a South Carolina attorney general and president of the College of Charleston Trustees. Considered a pillar of Charleston's "old guard,'' Miles was eulogized at his death as "bending his best efforts towards preserving the essentials of good breeding and polite intercourse in the midst of change." Incorporating a ...

Object Type: Archive

Image of 174 Broad Street - Property File

174 Broad Street - Property File

No house history on file. Files contain documentation of the conservation easement (copy); Charleston County Real Estate Sales listing; annual inspection reports; requests for alterations; correspondence related to the management of the property; brief historical background of John Patrick Grace, who lived in this house; newspaper article Mayor Grace (Mercury, 2015). See Easement Manager's working files for more information. See Eas ...

Object Type: Archive

Image of 177 Broad Street (Jones-Smith House) - Property File

177 Broad Street (Jones-Smith House) - Property File

Constructed before 1870. Lucius M. Jones built this 2½ story Charleston double house on a large lot near the western end of Broad Street before 1870. His house reflects many of Charleston's antebellum architectural traditions yet pays homage to the prevailing Italianate style. A small pedimented portico shades the front doorway, which has a semicircular transom. A large-scale pediment projects from the roof with a central Venetian windo ...

Object Type: Archive

Image of 179 Broad Street - Property File

179 Broad Street - Property File

No house history on file. Three files contain documentation of the easement (exterior, lot) on the property including related correspondence; easement letter regarding easement appraisal; annual inspection reports, plats. See Covenant/Easement Inspection Photo Files for inspection photography. No easement donation photographs (Exh. B to Deed of Conservation Easement) on file.

Object Type: Archive

Image of 180 Broad Street (Cooper-O'Connor House) - Property File

180 Broad Street (Cooper-O'Connor House) - Property File

Constructed ca. 1855. A 2-story portico with Temple of the Winds capitals ornaments the front of this 3-story wooden house constructed in the Greek Revival style at the former western end of Broad Street (before later filling) near Colonial Lake, then popularly known as "the pond." George Washington Cooper acquired the property from a trustee of the estate of Louis Trapman, who had received the site through his marriage to Mary Bowen Moore. A l ...

Object Type: Archive

Image of 182 Broad Street - Property File

182 Broad Street - Property File

At the turn of the 20th century, the residence of Mr. T.L. Reenstjerna. Henry T. Zacharias was the contractor who presumably built the house. No narrative history on file. File contains chain-of-title research notes and supporting documentation; plat from 1965; copy of photograph, ca. 1900; narrative history.

Object Type: Archive

Image of Broad Street (General) - Property File

Broad Street (General) - Property File

Broad Street was just that, the broadest street in Charles Town. The street was 61 feet wide at the intersection of East Bay and 100 feet wide between St. Michael's Church and the Beef Market, which stood on the site of City Hall. Records during the period, 1698 to 1714 interchangeably, refer to Broad Street and Cooper Street, presumably for Lord Anthony Ashley Cooper. (Charleston Streets website) File contains history of Broad Street (excerp ...

Object Type: Archive