Historic Charleston Foundation logo

images banner
images banner small

Items with Images Only
Search Hints: To search by phrase wrap your criteria in quotes. ex: "Find me". Hover over image thumbnails to view captions.

3104 results found. Records searched: 3104

Image of 149 Broad Street - Property File

149 Broad Street - Property File

No house history on file. Needs further research. File contains Rosen and Associates (engineers) inspection report (1994).

Object Type: Archive

No Image Available

Map of a Part of the Bulow Tract - Plat

Title of drawing: Map of a Part of the Bulow Tract Owned by Bradley Realty Corp. About to be Conveyed to C.P. Cuthbert Date of drawing: March 1945 Name of creator: J.P. Gaillard Bordered by Runnymede Tract, Magnolia Tract, Oakland Tract, Millbrook Tract. Recorded at Charleston RMC, Book G, Page 53, on June 7, 1948.

Object Type: Archive

Image of 152 Broad Street (Bird-Tiedeman House) - Property File

152 Broad Street (Bird-Tiedeman House) - Property File

Constructed 1885. John Henry Devereux, architect. William Bird, a dealer in paint, glass, and other supplies, lived on lower Meeting Street but built this house in 1885. The house reflects the transition between the Italianate and Queen Anne styles, apparent in its double-tiered front bay window, curved piazzas with saw-cut--patterned balustrades, and intermediary cross gable. Early photographs depict the original polychrome paint treatment of ...

Object Type: Archive

No Image Available

152 Broad Street (Bird-Tiedman House) - Drawing, Architectural

Title of drawing: 152 Broad Street (Bird-Tiedeman House) Date of drawing: Undated Name of creator(s): Not Indicated Floor Plan. Ink of Mylar-finalized drawing- with no artist or date listed. Only identification is address. No scale or measurements noted; but appears to be scaled.

Object Type: Archive

Image of 157 Broad Street (Lutjen's Grocery a/k/a Burbage's Grocery) - Property File

157 Broad Street (Lutjen's Grocery a/k/a Burbage's Grocery) - Property File

Constructed 1874. This is the only surviving corner grocery store in the South of Broad neighborhood. This type of corner store remains a viable part of some neighborhoods to the north, but it is one of Charleston's most threatened vernacular resources. Burbage's was built in 1874 by the Lutjen family, who immigrated to Charleston from Hanover in Germany, to house their store and saloon. A former house on the site was destroyed in the fire of ...

Object Type: Archive

Image of 160 Broad Street (William Wragg House) - Property File

160 Broad Street (William Wragg House) - Property File

Constructed by 1855; renovated or rebuilt 1866-1870, 1940. Originally a 3-story dwelling owned by one of South Carolina's leading physicians, William Wragg, who lived primarily on this site from 1855 until his death 30 years later. Passing to the McLeod family, the house was lowered or refenestrated and renovated in the Colonial Revival style with a portico. Wragg built the adjacent dwelling at 162 Broad Street for his daughters. File contai ...

Object Type: Archive

Image of 161 Broad Street (Berend Lutjen Tenement) - Property File

161 Broad Street (Berend Lutjen Tenement) - Property File

This house is one of a group of 3 Charleston single houses constructed by Berend Jutjen, a German grocer and saloon keeper, soon after purchasing the site in early 1878. The Lutjen family emigrated from Hanover, Germany, to Charleston and built 157 Broad Street (now Burbage's Grocery Store) to house their store and saloon in 1874. The previous building on the site had been destroyed in the Great Fire of 1861. This is a typical middle-cla ...

Object Type: Archive

Image of 164-168 Broad Street (Simons Houses) - Property File

164-168 Broad Street (Simons Houses) - Property File

Constructed 1886-91. A scion of Charleston's ancient Huguenot family, Samuel Wragg Simons built three of the houses in the block (164-172 Broad Street) between 1886 and 1891, a group presenting the most eclectic mix of Victorian styles in the city of Charleston. The oldest (and most modest) of the two houses, presently numbered 168 Broad Street, originally stood at 3 Franklin Street and was built by Simons by 1886, when he was an employee of ...

Object Type: Archive