Historic Charleston Foundation logo

images banner
images banner small

Items with Images Only
Search Hints: To search by phrase wrap your criteria in quotes. ex: "Find me". Hover over image thumbnails to view captions.

3110 results found. Records searched: 3110

Image of 27 Wentworth Street - Property File

27 Wentworth Street - Property File

Constructed ca. 1845. This two-story Flemish bond brick house was probably built in the mid-1840s with a two-bay wide addition on the second floor and one large arched carriage bay opening on the first floor, probably added in the early 20th century. File contains SC Dept. of Archives and History architectural survey form; FOHG house history (2011).

Record Type: Archive

Image of 30 Wentworth Street (William Thompson House) - Property File

30 Wentworth Street (William Thompson House) - Property File

Constructed ca. 1843. One of a series of small Greek Revival style dwellings built in Ansonborough soon after the fire of 1838. Built by William Thompson, a bricklayer and mason. Two files contain documentation of the covenant on the property; correspondence and other documentation related to the sale and management of the property; documentation related to HCF's purchase and rehabilitation of the property; annual inspection reports; requests f ...

Record Type: Archive

No Image Available

30 Wentworth Street - Drawing, Architectural

Title of drawing: 30 Wentworth Street Date of drawing: Undated Name of creator(s): Lucas and Stubbs Architects Left Side Elevation, Front Elevation, Front Step Details. Drawings identified as: Wentworth Street House (Historic Charleston Foundation). Address handwritten on back of drawing.

Record Type: Archive

Image of 134 Wentworth Street (Elsworth-Lockwood House) - Property File

134 Wentworth Street (Elsworth-Lockwood House) - Property File

Constructed ca. 1803; partially restored and rehabilitated 1990s. This 2½ story corner residence built on a raised basement has a hipped roof with dormers in the Federal style. Theophilus Elsworth, a gauger at the Custom House, built this as his residence. The building once was used as a private academy run by the Stuart family. Another owner, Dr. Joshua Lockwood, a druggist, bought the property in 1889 and converted the ground floor into a pharm ...

Record Type: Archive

Image of 32 Wentworth Street (William Thompson House) - Property File

32 Wentworth Street (William Thompson House) - Property File

Constructed ca. 1843. William Thompson acquired three lots facing Anson Street and built four masonry single houses, including 32 Wentworth street, following the Ansonborough fire of 1838. HCF purchased the property in September 1962 and placed restrictive covenants on it when it was sold in April 1963. A protective easement was donated in 2013. Three files contain documentation and correspondence related to the covenant on the property; docume ...

Record Type: Archive

Image of 33 Wentworth Street (William Proctor House) - Property File

33 Wentworth Street (William Proctor House) - Property File

Constructed ca. 1840. Peter Desmerinese Jr. bought this lot after the fire of 1838 but sold it, with only the foundations of a building remaining, to William Proctor, an accountant with various mercantile firms. From 1849 to 1867 Proctor resided in the 2-story brick single house he completed on the site. File contains narrative history and chain-of-title research (unattributed, undated); historical research contained in letter from L. Louis Gre ...

Record Type: Archive

Image of 34 Wentworth Street (St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church) - Property File

34 Wentworth Street (St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church) - Property File

November 18, 1866, marked a historical event for South Carolina’s African Americans when Bishop Patrick N. Lynch purchased a Jewish Synagogue at 34 Wentworth Street and its adjacent property. Approximately two years after the purchase, Bishop Lynch dedicated St. Peter’s Catholic Church to serve the African-American Catholic community in Charleston. Although many assumed the parish was named after Peter Claver because of his great love for the peop ...

Record Type: Archive

Image of 38 Wentworth Street (William C. McElheran House) - Property File

38 Wentworth Street (William C. McElheran House) - Property File

Constructed ca. 1847. McElheran's property was purchased in 1860 by C.D. Franke and Ferdinand Benedict. Their company constructed gun carriages for the Confederacy on this site and adjacent properties. The Franke warehouse complex south of this property between Church and Meeting Streets was acquired several decades later and the principal carriage-making operation was moved to that location. This property has returned to residential use in recent ...

Record Type: Archive