Historic Charleston Foundation logo

images banner
images banner small

Items with Images Only
Search Hints: To search by phrase wrap your criteria in quotes. ex: "Find me". Hover over image thumbnails to view captions.

3104 results found. Records searched: 3104

No Image Available

U.S. Dept. of Interior Geological Surveys - Map

Eight (8) U.S. Department of the Interior Geological Surveys of areas within the Cooper River Historic District. Some maps include HCF staff notations. 1-Bethedra Quadrangle (1948) 2-Moncks Corner Quadrangle (1958, photorevised 1979) 3-Cainhoy Quadrangle (1958, photorevised 1971) 4-Mount Holly Quadrangle (1957, photorevised 1979) 5-Cordesville Quadrangle (1948, photorevised 1979) 6-Huger Quadrangle (edition of 1950, photorevised 1971) 7- ...

Object Type: Archive

No Image Available

Chronological Table Concerning Charles Town... - Chart

Complete title: "Chronological Table Concerning Charles Town in the Provinces of Carolina from the Granting of its Charter to the Departure of the British Armed Forces from its Shores." Created by Albert Simons for Henry P. Staats (as indicated in pencil on back), this chart (in a table format) describes significant events in Charles Town's history. Arranged by decade, civic and political events, economic and social developments, military even ...

Object Type: Archive

No Image Available

Charlotte Street Houses - Photographic Layout - Layout, Photographic

Photocopy of what was a layout of photographs of houses on Charlotte Street between East Bay and Elizabeth Streets, arranged to represent the streetscape. Sheets are date-stamped 1999 but photos appear to be from the 1960s. Each photograph is captioned with building number, lot measurements, and owner and/or occupant name(s). The following houses are included: SW Corner East Bay & Charlotte Streets (13 Charlotte Street?) 15-17 Charlotte Street ...

Object Type: Archive

No Image Available

Mount Pleasant Tax Maps - Map

Thirteen (13) tax maps of Mount Pleasant and vicinity, created by the Charleston County Assessor's Office. Some maps have certain lots colored in red, presumably by HCF staff. No indication as to the significance of those properties. The maps were compiled by deed/plat research and field reconnaissance. Date of aerial photography, Feb., 1967. 1-East Cooper, Tax Map Index 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, 2-4 2-TMS# 532-11-0 (Marjudo and Highlands) 3-TMS# 53 ...

Object Type: Archive

Image of 2-4 Courthouse Square (Blake Tenements) - Property File

2-4 Courthouse Square (Blake Tenements) - Property File

Constructed 1760-72; some renovation ca. 1800, late 20th century. Daniel Blake inherited this portion of the original Archdale Square, a site that had been reserved for an early Quaker governor on the old town plan. Blake sold much of the property for development of buildings that subsequently saw extensive use as lawyers offices and lodgings for attorneys and judges. By 1772, one deed noted that Blake had extensively improved the westernmost part ...

Object Type: Archive

Image of 8 Courthouse Square (Meyer-Peace House and Office) - Property File

8 Courthouse Square (Meyer-Peace House and Office) - Property File

Constructed 1783-93; altered ca. 1802, 1830, 1956. Philip Meyer, a leading sugar manufacturer, purchased this site, part of the old Archdale Square grant, from Henry Laurens prior to the Revolution. Meyer was a prominent Revolutionary patriot and was among those citizens interned on a prison ship in the harbor during the British occupation of the city in 1780-82. The 3-story stuccoed brick house with pantile roof was constructed in the Federal sty ...

Object Type: Archive

Image of 6-8 Cumberland Street (Theodore Gaillard Range) - Property File

6-8 Cumberland Street (Theodore Gaillard Range) - Property File

Constructed ca. 1789-1804; renovated 1960s. The lower arched openings of this stuccoed masonry building survive as the only indication of its former use as a range of four 3-story stores and factor's offices. Theodore Gaillard, the son of a prominent merchant and planter who bought the site in 1777 with the confiscation of the loyalist Wragg family's wharf, in turn had his property confiscated by South Carolina authorities due to his own tory l ...

Object Type: Archive

Image of 45 Hasell Street (Charles W. Seignious Building) - Property File

45 Hasell Street (Charles W. Seignious Building) - Property File

Constructed ca. 1851; rehabilitated in 1965, 1994. George W. Seignious acquired the lot with or without this 3-story brick store and dwelling in 1851 from Samuel Wagner. The structure is notable for the retention of its early storefront pattern, especially the stone lintel and the cast-iron pilasters. The first-floor shop windows are a conjectural restoration by Historic Charleston Foundation carried out when it acquired the property in 1965. ...

Object Type: Archive