Historic Charleston Foundation logo

images banner
images banner small

Items with Images Only
Search Hints: To search by phrase wrap your criteria in quotes. ex: "Find me". Hover over image thumbnails to view captions.

3104 results found. Records searched: 3104

Image of 122 Broad Street (Cathedral of St. John the Baptist) - Property File

122 Broad Street (Cathedral of St. John the Baptist) - Property File

Constructed ca. 1890-1907; renovated 1980s, restored 1995. Patrick C. Keely and Decimus C. Barbot, architects. Although the cornerstone was laid for this stippled brownstone cathedral in 1890, it is actually the second such building to occupy the site. The Right Reverend John England was consecrated in St. Finbar's Cathedral in Cork, Ireland, and arrived to take up his duties over the diocese of the Carolinas and Georgia early in 1821. Eng ...

Object Type: Archive

Image of 170 Broad Street - Property File

170 Broad Street - Property File

Built by Caroline Simons in 1883. A mix of the Eastlake, Queen Anne and Italianate styles. (Tour Guide Training manual) No additional house history on file. Needs further research. File contains Rosen and Associates (engineers) inspection report (1998).

Object Type: Archive

Image of 61 Society Street  - Property File

61 Society Street - Property File

No house history on file. Needs further research. File contains plans and photographs (photocopies) presumably submitted to the BAR in support of a request to enclose an open deck (undated, no indication of status).

Object Type: Archive

Image of 125 Broad Street (Charles Robert Valk House) - Property File

125 Broad Street (Charles Robert Valk House) - Property File

Constructed 1886. Although the builder of this house was born in Connecticut in 1848, he spent much of his childhood in South Carolina and served in the Confederate army during the War Between the States. Starting in business as the superintendent of a fertilizer company, he organized a firm that grew to be known as Charleston Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Company. Considered one of the chief exponents of Charleston's "New South" business elite, h ...

Object Type: Archive

Image of 129 Broad Street (Heinsohn Building) - Property File

129 Broad Street (Heinsohn Building) - Property File

Constructed 1887. Eggert Heinsohn's Grocery and residence is a good example of a late 19th century mixed-use corner building that conforms to Charleston's traditional architectural design and siting. A two-story frame building on the southwest corner of Broad and Legare Streets; a late-19th century replacement for an earlier house burned in the fire of 1861. Clad in novelty siding, the building has a front-gable roof with standing-seam metal roofi ...

Object Type: Archive

Image of 130 Broad Street (J.C. Tiedeman House) - Property File

130 Broad Street (J.C. Tiedeman House) - Property File

Constructed 1881-82; renovated and restored 1996. John C. Tiedeman built this side-hall, double-parlor-plan house with low pitched, hip roof on an important corner lot. The facade exhibits rich Italianate detail, including the bracketed hood over its entry, approached by marble steps with a cast-iron balustrade; a bay window with balustraded base and parapet; bracketed window heads; bracketed cornice within the wide entablature; and a 2-story pi ...

Object Type: Archive

Image of 131 Broad Street - Property File

131 Broad Street - Property File

Constructed ca. 1887. One of a row of elegant Victorian single houses constructed after the fire of 1861, which destroyed earlier buildings on the block. Edward G. Voight, a shoe dealer, constructed this house, with its prominent bay window and door overhang before 1887. The original plaster cornices remain in the interior as well as the handsome walnut staircase, which has never been painted. Especially notable is the Victorian "Gingerb ...

Object Type: Archive

Image of 134 Broad Street (John Klinck House) - Property File

134 Broad Street (John Klinck House) - Property File

Constructed 1872; restored 1996. John Henry Devereux, architect. The owner of the grocery at the northeast corner of Broad and Church Streets constructed this house in 1872 with the assistance of the architect John Henry Devereux. As Klinck's business expanded, he obviously desired to move out of his old-fashioned residence at 116 Church Street and retire to this area where other German families were rebuilding on lots burned out in the fire of 18 ...

Object Type: Archive