Historic Charleston Foundation logo

images banner
images banner small

Items with Images Only
Search Hints: To search by phrase wrap your criteria in quotes. ex: "Find me". Hover over image thumbnails to view captions.

3104 results found. Records searched: 3104

Image of 109 Broad Street (Martin Campbell House) - Property File

109 Broad Street (Martin Campbell House) - Property File

Constructed ca. 1783; rehabilitated 1965. Although this lot was acquired by Martin Campbell in 1773, stylistic comparison indicates that the building was probably built after the Revolution and just before its transfer by Campbell family members to merchant William Price in 1784. The house has undergone significant renovation, but it retains the reverse graduation of its front windows, its hipped roof, and its triple tiered piazzas with simple c ...

Object Type: Archive

Image of 110 Broad Street (William Harvey House a/k/a Ralph Izard House) - Property File

110 Broad Street (William Harvey House a/k/a Ralph Izard House) - Property File

Constructed ca. 1728; altered ca. 1800, 1837; renovated 1981, 1985. Escaping the great fires of the 18th and 19th centuries, 110 Broad Street stands as an example of a relatively intact pre-Revolutionary structure. The merchant's house plan follows that of 92 Broad Street and other large dwellings of the pre-1740 period with a front office entry and a chambered rear stair hall ascending to a second story dominated by a large front drawing room and ...

Object Type: Archive

Image of 114 Broad Street (Col. Thomas Pinckney House) - Property File

114 Broad Street (Col. Thomas Pinckney House) - Property File

Constructed ca. 1829. Ralph Izard Jr. acquired this site before his death in 1824. Passing into his sister's estate, the property was sold to Col. Thomas Pinckney in 1829 with an "unfinished house." Pinckney, whose father owned 14 George Street, completed the present T-shaped, 2½ story brick dwelling, with construction assistance from the Horlbeck Brothers, by 1829. Standing on a high basement, which is supported on the interior by groin vaulting, ...

Object Type: Archive

No Image Available

116 Broad Street (John Rutledge House) - Drawing, Architectural

Title of drawing: 116 Broad Street (John Rutledge House) Date of drawing: Undated Name of creator(s): Evans & Schmidt Architects Site Plan, 1st Floor Plan, 2nd Floor Plan, 3rd Floor Plan, 4th Floor Plan, Dependency Building Floor Plans (presumably). Title block incomplete; only identification is for the architects and, on page 1, the house--labeled as Gov. John Rutledge House. Address is handwritten. Drawings are rough--no scale or ...

Object Type: Archive

Image of 117 Broad Street (Laurens-Rutledge House) - Property File

117 Broad Street (Laurens-Rutledge House) - Property File

Constructed ca. 1760; altered ca. 1885-90, 1935. Miller & Fullerton, architect-builders. Built in the Georgian style by James Laurens, brother of Henry Laurens, this house retains only a portion of its original 18th-century appearance. Nonetheless, it has long been celebrated due to its purchase in 1788 by Edward Rutledge, signer of the Declaration of Independence. The five-bay main block with a projecting pediment supported by console bracke ...

Object Type: Archive

No Image Available

Griffith Residence Addition, 117 Broad Street (Laurens-Rutledge House) - Drawing, Architectural

Title of drawing: Griffith Residence Addition, 117 Broad Street (Laurens-Rutledge House) Date of drawing: Undated Name of creator(s): Lucas Stubbs Pasculllis Powell & Penny LTD. 1st Floor Plan, East Elevation, South Elevation, 2nd Floor Plan, East Elevation (presumably incomplete drawing), South Elevation (presumably incomplete drawing). Title block incomplete; no date or artist. No scale or measurements noted; but drawings appear to b ...

Object Type: Archive

Image of 119 Broad Street (Morton Waring House a/k/a Chancery Office of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Charleston) - Property File

119 Broad Street (Morton Waring House a/k/a Chancery Office of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Charleston) - Property File

Constructed ca. 1803; renovated ca. 1890-1900. Built by the local factor Morton Waring in 1803, this structure originally stood as a large 3½ story, exposed brick Charleston single house. Waring sold the property, following severe financial reversals in 1811, to Mordecai Cohen. Cohen, who immigrated to Charleston from Poland as a peddler in the 1780s, rose to be a banker and merchant, and was considered to be the second-wealthiest man in South ...

Object Type: Archive

Image of 118-120 Broad Street (St. Andrew's Hall) - Property File

118-120 Broad Street (St. Andrew's Hall) - Property File

Constructed 1815, St. Andrew’s Hall, was located just east of the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist. It was used not only for St. Andrew's Society functions but rented to other organizations for social, cultural, and political gatherings. Both President James Monroe and General Marquis de Lafayette stayed here during their visits to the city. It was also used by the St. Cecelia Society for concerts and balls. The hall’s most historic moment was du ...

Object Type: Archive