Historic Charleston Foundation logo

images banner
images banner small

Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title 38 Tradd Street (Bullock Building)
Object Type Property File
Scope & Content Constructed ca. 1718; restored early 20th century. Restoration work done on these properties in 1979 revealed that both structures, built by John Bullock or his widow between 1718 and 1722, escaped damage from the plague of fires that swept through early Charleston. No. 38 served as the artist Elizabeth O'Neill Verner's home and studio from 1938 until her death in 1979. This easternmost building retains much of its original character, including small imported red brick laid in a Flemish bond pattern and a steeply pitched gable roof. Evidence of alterations in fenestration are apparent in the front facade, but on the interior a large fireplace substantiates the dwelling's early character. In the 20th century Miss Verner's studio was joined to the 3-story stuccoed brick building at 79 Church Street. Although this lot was also owned by the Bullocks, their daughter Millicent and her husband Col. Robert Brewton sold the property in 1722 to John Fraser. (Poston, Buildings of Charleston.)

File contains FOHG house histories for 38 Tradd (1991, 1999); "Assessment of Surviving Historic Fabric" by Louis P. Nelson (2004); 40 Tradd Street house history including overview, chain-of-title, architectural description, etc. (Butler,2017); house history (38 Tradd and 40 Tradd) from Information for Guides of Historic Charleston (1984); house history (38 and 48 Tradd) from Tour Guide Training Manual (2011); photocopies of photographs documenting cracks (1994); realtor's sale brochure (no date).
Subjects Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston
Search Terms Tradd Street
Walled City
Physical Description 1 File Folder
Related Records Show Related Records...
Object ID # TRADD.038-40.1