|Object ID #||ANSON.011-25.001|
|Title||11-25 Anson Street (Goldsmith's Row)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
One of the few late 19th century investment housing developments surviving in downtown Charleston. Isaac A. Goldsmith, a dentist and holder of extensive real estate, built this row of single houses as tenements in 1894 on property formerly occupied by a cotton press and a small flour mill. 11 Anson Street, a brick dwelling south of the row was constructed before the Civil War. 13-25 Anson Street houses were constructed in 1894 and rehabilitated in the 1980s. Goldsmith originally intended to construct 12 houses (7 on Anson, 3 facing Pinckney, and 2 facing an alley planned behind the Anson Street houses). Only 10 of the 12 structures were built and only 7 houses on Anson survive. The houses were originally rented to immigrant laborers. The 1896 directory lists 3 of the 7 houses on Anson Street as vacant; inhabitants of the other 4 are Giovani B. Singuinate, Margaret Pozaro (a laborer), Michael Gorman (a stevedore), and John W. Bouson (manager of the Bay Fish Co.). (Poston, Buildings of Charleston.)
File contains historical and deed research notes; newspaper article "Preservationists Changing Emphasis" (DYKYC, 5/28/1973).
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|