|Object ID #||CHALMERS.008.01|
|Title||8 Chalmers Street (German Fire Steam Engine Company)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed 1851; rehabilitated 1981. Edward C. Jones, architect. Built in a mix of the Gothic Revival and a style called "Norman" or Romanesque Revival, this engine house served as headquarters for the 70-member Deutschen Feuer Kompagnie, one of the many ethnic fire companies established in Charleston in the early 19th century. After its merger with the city fire department, this became Engine House no. 1 by 1881. The engine house use was discontinued at 8 Chalmers when the new city fire stations were built by 1888. The building then served as the Carolina Light Infantry's armory until 1907, and as the site of African American charitable organizations "Good Samaritan Hall" and the "Embry Mission" until 1937. An early coat of stucco still covers the 3-bay building with corner turrets, arched windows, a Gothic pavilion, and stepped parapet. Adapted as an office in 1i81, the structure contains one of Charleston's most interesting working spaces.
File contains narrative histories; brief description and inventory of objects in building (1988); 1986 newspaper article about its design as an office; photocopies of images.
Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|