Historic Charleston Foundation logo

images banner
images banner small

Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title 118 Beaufain Street (John Henry Steinmeyer House)
Object Type Property File
Scope & Content Constructed ca. 1840s. Nathan Nathans, a dry-goods merchant, conveyed this lot at the west end of Beaufain Street to the lumber mill operator John Steinmeyer, who soon afterward built a 2-story weatherboarded-and-stuccoed brick dwelling on it. A 2-story rear extension, faced with wide clapboards, was added shortly after construction. Although small enough to be a dependency, the house may have served as a temporary home to the family while a larger house at 4 Gadsden Street and 3 other Steinmeyer houses were under construction. The 1852 city ward book assessed Steinmeyer's mill at the end of the street and the 3 brick buildings together, describing 118 Beaufain Street as "kitchen only on lot."

File contains handwritten (staff) research and chain-of-title notes; newspaper article "Small House Example of 'Extra' Building."
Subjects Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston
Search Terms Beaufain Street
Harleston Village
Physical Description 1 File Folder
Related Records Show Related Records...
Object ID # BEAUFAIN.118.001