|Title||64-68 Beaufain Street (Francis Quinlan McHugh Tenements)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed ca. 1850-53; rehabilitated mid-1980s. The attorney Francis Q. McHugh purchased a parcel on the north side of Beaufain Street, extending from Coming Street to Kirkland Lane. He intended to build speculative dwellings such as those he had constructed at 22-24 Wentworth Street in Ansonborough. Apparently , McHugh sold 68 Beaufain to the mason Thomas Divine with the provision that he complete a dwelling on the lot as well as buildings for McHugh which were already under construction. The two McHugh houses were completed as 3-story stuccoed single houses with flat roofs and simple parapets. Double-tiered piazzas with Tuscan columns shade the south facades of each structure. McHugh sold 64 Beaufain to Thomas N. Gadsden, a slave broker who owned numerous investment properties. Divine completed a 2-story single house with similar detailing by 1853, and later conveyed it to Theodore Huchet, a merchant of Santo Domingan descent. Huchet or perhaps a subsequent purchaser added pressed tin window hoods and a surmounting entablature, as well as a wooden overhang in similar style.
File contains handwritten (staff) research source notes; draft "Statement of Significance" (unattributed, undated); handwritten historical notes; newspaper articles "Trio of Houses Reflects Mid-Century Prosperity" (5/16/1970), "Portion of Facade Falls on Beaufain" (5/29/1981), "Owner is Ordered to Rebuild Facade" (5/30/1981); Rosen and Associates (engineers) inspection reports for 66 Beaufain Street (1996, 2006); Rosen and Associates (engineers) inspection report for 68 Beaufain Street (1996).
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|
|Object ID #||BEAUFAIN.064-68.001|