|Object ID #||ARCHDALE.040.001|
|Title||40 Archdale Street (Bulwinkle-Ohlandt Building)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed ca. 1880; renovated ca. 1995-96. John Henry Bulwinkle constructed a grocery store around 1880 on the site of a house that burned in 1864. The simple 3-story building with red pressed brick, tightly laid and surmounted by a simple arcaded brick cornice, housed Bulwinkle's grocery and a saloon with a rented residence above. During Prohibition the grocery housed a "blind tiger" in its back room; it appropriately became a liquor store before its renovation as part of the Majestic Square complex to the east. It is a good example of post-Civil War combination commercial-residential architecture.
File contains newspaper article (DYKYC); FOHG house history (undated "old"); 1995 memo to Jon Poston regarding repointing on the north facade.
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|