|Title||93½ Columbus Street|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
The first building on the site was built before 1853 by Henry Jackson, a member of a prominent free African-American family on the East Side. This building was either replaced or extensively remodeled, probably by Joseph Whyte in the 1880s, and provided space4s for various stores and a butcher shop. The building experienced significant deterioration in the 1970s before condemnation and conveyance by the City to Historic Charleston Foundation, who completed some stabilization and conveyed it to Charleston Affordable Housing. The structure collapsed in the windstorm of March 1993 just prior to a planned rehabilitation.
File contains legal documentation of the covenant on the property; annual inspection reports; documentation of alternations to and rehabilitation of the property; correspondence and other documentation related to the sale and management of the property and/or of the covenant itself; technical specifications project manual*; historical/chain-of-title research information including plats and maps; narrative history; newspaper articles; miscellaneous correspondence.
*See Multimedia link for General [project] Requirements.
See Covenant/Easement Inspection Photo Files for inspection photography.
Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston
Charleston Affordable Housing
Demolished buildings, lost buildings
2 Covenant/Management Folders
1 History/Miscellaneous Folder
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|
|Object ID #||COLUMBUS.093.1|