|Object ID #||PLANTATIONS.002|
|Title||Cooper River National Historic District|
|Scope & Content||
The Cooper River Historic District is an intact historic rural area of some 33,000 acres in Berkeley County located principally along the East Branch of the Cooper River. Within its boundaries are the oldest rural dwellings in the state, colonial parish churches and chapels of ease; other architectural resources and their intact surrounding rural landscapes including several colonial and antebellum plantations; and archaeological sites which contribute to an overall understanding of the region’s significance in state and national history. This historic district’s significance lies not only in its historic architecture and the remarkable concentrations of rural landscapes within its bounds, but most importantly in the role that the river, its plantations, and their people have played in the life of South Carolina through three centuries of her history.
In the nomination to the National Register, the themes, trends, and patterns of history shared by several properties are organized into a historic context statement with definitions of the property types found that relate to the context. The District was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2003, thanks in large part to the efforts of Historic Charleston Foundation working in conjunction with other public and private entities, including the Berkeley County Soil and Water Conservation District and the State Historic Preservation Office of the SC Department of Archives and History.
Fine examples of architecture found in the district from the Colonial period through the modern era include Middleburg Plantation (1697), the oldest surviving plantation house in South Carolina; the Georgian style Pompion Hill Chapel (1763); the Federal style Quinby Plantation House (c.1792), the Tudor Revival style complex at Richmond Plantation (ca. 1927); and the International style buildings at Mepkin Plantation (ca. 1938). The district's rice fields, canals, dams, reservoirs, causeways, roads and cemeteries are tangible evidence of the rice plantation economy and the work of thousands of slaves who provided labor for the plantations. The area also contains several significant archaeological sites; digs here have given scholars new insights into the Colonial, antebellum and post-Civil War history of white and black inhabitants of the region.
Files contain information on plantations, churches, cemeteries, etc., within the Cooper River National Historic District, and may include any or all of the following documents: SC Survey Site Form(s); National Register of Historic Inventory Form(s); research notes; photos; plats and maps; newspaper articles; reports; and narrative descriptions from a variety of books and other sources.
Miscellaneous files include records for non-contributing sites, contributing sites that are gone, documentation of some mile-markers, photographs of rice fields, resource bibliography, etc. There are also materials that have not been organized stored separately.
Biggin Church and Cemetery
Cordesville UMC Church
Emanuel A.M.E. Church
Henry S. Evans House
Flagg and Grove Plantations (Amoco property)
French Quarter Creek
James Gourdine House
Halidon Hill/Quinby House
Jacob Martin Howard House
Huguenot Church Marker (St. Denis Church)
Irvin Chapel Cemetery
Julius Ladson House
Lewisfield (Simons Family Cemetery)
Limerick (see also, archaeological report, 2009.002.089)
Naval Weapons Station/Red Bank Road Cottage Plantation
Pinopolis Dam/Jeffries Plant
Pompion Hill Chapel (see Media link)
Rice Hope (Loutrel Briggs garden)
St. Thomas and St. Denis Church (see Media link)
Strawberry Chapel/Childsbury Towne
Yeaman's Hall/Yeaman's Hall Graveyard
Church buildings--Berkeley County
Cooper River Region (S.C.)
Cooper River Historic District
|Physical Description||4 boxes (~1.5 lin. ft.)|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|