|Object ID #||ANSON.028.001|
|Title||28 Anson Street (Old Weils Mattress Factory)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed before 1872; rehabilitated as condominiums 1990. The rear, 2-story brick section of this building began as a cotton warehouse owned by George W. Williams and later served as the center of a complex belonging to Robertson, Taylor and Company, which processed cotton brought into Charleston from the plantations. The Weils family added the front section of the building in the 20th century when the structure became a mattress factory, which retained this use until the 1970s. After applications for demolition were denied, the building was renovated as condominiums. The rear of the property borders a tiny thoroughfare, Motley Lane, and traverses in an L-shaped path from Pinckney to Anson Streets, accessing small houses and outbuildings of some of the large dwellings facing onto Hasell Street.
File contains letter from CHS Engineering Associates re: existing structural condition (1990); miscellaneous documents re: request for demolition/BAR action; newspaper articles (1969 DYKYC, and "Police Tow Cars to Safety as Roof Begins to Slide"); occupancy history from Old Codgers' Charleston Address Book; draft "Statement of Significance" containing historical research, timeline, and maps (by Sarah Fick); copy of 1991 plat; brief house history and room descriptions (The Designer Showhouse 1992).
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|
|Date(s) of Creation||1999|