|Title||46 Cannon Street (New Cannon Street Baptist Church)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed ca. 1888 as a project of the Women's Missionary of the First Baptist Church, and as "mission work," targeted the families of blue collar workers in the Charleston suburbs. Interest grew in the mission and a church was established. By 1893, the newly formed congregation of the Cannon Street Baptist Church obtained the structure from the mother church and established an independent facility. In 1913, a local African American Baptist congregation purchased the building, renaming it New Cannon Street Baptist Church. Originally board and batten siding covered this Gothic Revival building. The original flooring was tongue-in-groove. The anterior end of the structure contained 3 bays which were enclosed by a new fellowship hall. During the first quarter of the 20th century, it is possible that several additions were made. The church sustained a great deal of damage during Hurricane Hugo; the entire anterior end (ca. 1920-30) was lost.
File contains building history from The Vernacular Architecture of Charleston and the Lowcountry; drawing (floorplan); HCF staff research notes.
Church buildings--South Carolina--Charleston
African American churches--South Carolina--Charleston
Churches/Synagogues/Houses of Worship
Radcliffeborough and Cannonborough
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Object ID #||CANNON.046.01|