|Object ID #||BULL.100.001|
|Title||100 Bull Street (Monpoey-Wilkes House)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed ca. 1820. Honore Monpoey, a wealthy grocer, built a section of this 2½ story stuccoed brick house on a large lot that formerly stretched to the Bennett Mill Pond. Placed at a considerable distance from the street, the western part of the house was a typical Charleston single house in plan. He lived here until the 1850s, but after the Civil War the house passed through several merchant families. Monpoey purchased two plantations on the Ashley River in the 1830s and rose from shopkeeper to a member of Charleston's planter gentry. In 1894 Herman Wilken bought the Bull Street property and probably was responsible for the Colonial Revival style addition with a hipped roof and wide front dormer to the eastern end, placing front piazzas across the entire structure.
File contains HCF staff research notes (scant); Rosen and Associates inspection report (2004); Hurricane Hugo damage assessment survey (see Media tab); photocopy of an 1899 statement from The Ideal Dairy, H. Wilken, Proprieter (52 Bull Street), 1900 statement for Vienna Model Bakery (52 Bull Street and 319 King Street), and 1900 Charleston Gas Light Company for H. Wilkin, 52 Bull Street.
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|