|Title||75 Anson Street (Joseph Legare House)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed ca. 1800; rehabilitated 1969. This two-and-a-half story wooden house raised on a brick basement was built by the wealthy planter and factor Joseph Legare, whose family had owned the property next door since 1760. The exceptional front staircase with marble steps and iron balustrade was added by Benjamin Howland in 1844 along with the Greek Revival style piazza. The house had a third story added at about the same time; this story was removed and the roof restored in 1969. A late-Victorian house to the south was also removed and the lot restored, while the extensive line of outbuildings became individual residences.
Two files contain documentation of the covenant on the property; annual inspection reports; requests for alterations; Hurricane Hugo report; correspondence and other documentation related to the sale and/or management of the property and/or of the covenant itself; historical/research information; copy of HCF easement information card (TMS number, year of construction, significant resident(s), deed research, deed restrictions, measurements, and tax information); graduate student report (Eileen Grogan, 2008) on the history of the house, which includes historical and chain-of-title research, maps, photos, and other supporting documentation (deeds, architectural plans, plats); pdf of photographs by Bill Jordan, 1972.
See Covenant/Easement Inspection Photo Files for inspection photography.
See Media link for pdf of photographs of the house, 1972.
Historic buildings--Conservation and restoration
Ansonborough Rehabilitation Project (ARP)
Before and after
1 Covenant/Management Folder
1 History/Miscellaneous Folder
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|
|Object ID #||ANSON.075.001|