|Object ID #||CHURCH.090.1|
|Title||90 Church Street (Thomas Legare House a/k/a Peter Leger House)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed ca. 1759-60; restored 1927. The houses at 90-94 Church Street were called by the late architectural historian Samuel G. Stoney "three variations on the theme of the Charleston single house." Each reflect the development of the single house from the mid-18th century. The clients who contracted for the three 3-story brick houses -- Leger, Christie, and Cooper -- were all wealthy and socially prominent individuals whose architectural aspirations, according to one architectural historian, defined Charleston's early townhouses as "a union of cosmopolitan and vernacular building traditions." 90 (and 94) Church Street was constructed in the 1760s as a 3-story, hipped roof, center-passage plan dwelling with ground-floor front commercial rooms or offices. The site at 90 Church contains a 2-story slave quarters-kitchen. Each of the three edifices, particularly 90 Church, retains splendid original woodwork. During the early to mid-19th century, the owner of the Leger House completed both a new garden, outbuildings, and 2-story piazzas as well. The houses underwent the removal of their commercial usage, and the houses were physically connected to their back buildings, showing a segregation between work space and domestic space and reflecting a topographically redefined central business district. The latter change in which individual buildings on the lot were connected with infill wings represented a 2-part shift in lot planning toward, first, the consolidation of household functions under a single roof and, second, a growing sense of room specialization. The house was returned to single family usage in the 20th century. 90 Church Street was restored by the brother of architect Albert Simons.
Files contain documentation of the easement on the property including related correspondence and Confirmation of Understanding; Part I certification (determination letter and application); annual inspection reports, requests for alterations, and correspondence related to the management of the property; house histories from Vernacular Architecture of Charleston and the Lowcountry, Architectural Guide to Charleston, and City of Charleston Tour Guide Training Manual; history of the back building (Edward Chappell, 1997); newspaper article (DYKYC, 1979); early Festival of Homes house history (ca. 1949); FOHG house history (1996);deed and probate document research including inventory of Peter Leger; 1886 Earthquake damage assessment; Hurricane Hugo damage assessment.
See Easement Documentation Photo Files for easement donation (1982) photographs (Exh. B to Deed of Conservation Easement) and Covenant/Easement Inspection Photo Files for inspection photography.
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
1 Gift Folder
1 Management Folder
1 History/Miscellaneous Folder
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|