Historic Charleston Foundation logo

images banner
images banner small

Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title 128 Bull Street (Joseph Bennett House a/k/a Thomas Grange Simons House)
Object Type Property File
Scope & Content Constructed ca. 1814. Joseph Bennett, a lesser known son of Thomas Bennett, lived not far from the family sawmills in this house constructed by his father by 1814. The 2½-story weatherboarded dwelling with a central pedimented pavilion stands on a high masonry foundation, reflecting the short distance from the house to the marsh at the time of construction. The Bennetts conveyed the property in 1818 to the Simons family, wealthy factors who later owned the Crescent Plantation (now the West Ashley subdivision The Crescent) on Wappoo Creek. Thomas Grange Simons II was born in the house in 1819 and lived here until his death in 1904. For most of the 20th century the house has been owned by a succession of Rivers and Porcher families.

File contains HCF staff research notes (scant). No house history on file.
Subjects Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston
Search Terms Bull Street
Harleston Village
Physical Description 1 File Folder
Related Records Show Related Records...
Object ID # BULL.128.01