|Title||76 Bull Street (Matthewes-Legare House)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed ca. 1813. This 2½-story plantation-style dwelling wrapped by double-tiered piazzas was built by vendue master and planter George Matthewes. Matthewes previously built 110 Rutledge Avenue and lived on Wentworth Street until he moved to his new house at this address in 1813. After his death in 1815, the house was sold by his daughter to Mrs. Mary Swinton Legare. Her famous son, Hugh Swinton Legare, who was crippled, used this as his residence until his death in 1843. Educated in Paris and Edinborough, Legare began the "Southern Review" while serving concurrently as a state legislator. He later served as ambassador to Brussels, congressman, U.S. attorney general, and U.S. secretary of state. At the time of his death he was considered as a Whig presidential candidate for the election of 1884. The house passed in 1855 to Alexander Calder, ancestor of the artist with the same name, and it served as the Calder family residence until 1919. Much of the interior retains its Adamesque decoration, with the exception of a Regency-style gray marble mantel in the front drawing room. Tradition holds that Legare kept quarters on the ground floor, where Charleston's literary figures of the antebellum period gathered.
File contains HCF staff research notes (scant).
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|
|Object ID #||BULL.076.001|