|Object ID #||CANNON.065.01|
|Title||65 Cannon Street (James Sparrow House)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed ca. 1818. A two-and-one-half story stuccoed brick house, raised on a basement. Masonry embellished by a dogtooth cornice which extends to and is repeated along the cornice and rake of the pediment on each gable. Quoins of stuccoed brick articulate the corners and a stringcourse of the same material delineates the floor levels. All of the outbuildings were demolished. Significant as an intact example of the late Federal architectural style as applied to the Charleston single house type and as an example of residential architecture in Cannonborough, an early 19th century suburb. James Sparrow, a butcher, bought the site in 1797, although he did not build the house before he sold the property in 1818. The section of Cannon Street was known as "Butcher Town" since Sparrow and many other butchers had residences and shops in the neighborhood. A detailed architectural description is contained in the National Register Registration Form in the file.
File contains National Register of Historic Places Registration Form; copy of scanned photograph; portraits of residents Sara Elizabeth (Marlen) and Christian David Hoppoldt; SC Dept. of Archives and History architectural survey form; 3 photos from BAR Phototographic information form (1995); 1997 article about its renovation.
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
Radcliffeborough and Cannonborough
National Register of Historic Places
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|