|Title||214 Calhoun Street (Frederick Shaffer House)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed ca. 1834, one of Charleston's larger Greek Revival mansions. Occupies the northwest corner of the intersection of Calhoun and Pitt Streets. Originally part of a 23 acre tract owned by wealthy planter, Joseph Manigualt, the section was split into lots. A prosperous house carpenter, Frederick Shaffer, bought a series of lots between Calhoun and Pitt between 1825 and 1834. Shortly after the purchase, Shaffer started building this dwelling in a plan similar to the great houses of Beaufort with a modified version of the Beaufort T-shape. The house was unusually elaborate even for its period, both in the number and arrangement of rooms and in the careful attention to details and ornamentation. Shaffer kept as many as 18 slaves at this property to assist in its maintenance. The site is notable for the 1897 murder of Thomas Pinckney Jr., an attorney of distinguished lineage, who was found on the property, shot twice in the back.
File contains HCF staff research notes; newspaper article (DYKYC); Rosen and Associates inspection report (2001, 2002).
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|
|Object ID #||CALHOUN.214.01|