|Object ID #||ARCHDALE.025.001|
|Title||25 Archdale Street|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
The 2-story frame house was built by Jacob Francis who served in the Civil War as a blockade runner. He bought the lot, then vacant, on March 7, 1884, from the German Friendly Society; the present building appears for the first time in the ward books of 1883-86, indicating that it was built between 1884 and 1886. The house follows the traditional architectural form of the Charleston single house. Its architecture is conservative for its period, with none of the exuberant decoration of the high Victorian age. Its mantelpieces are simple, derived from the Greek Revival style; woodwork is very plain. Two points betray the vintage of the house: the gable roof is set low upon the structure and does not permit a half-story or garret such as is usually found in earlier houses; also, the posts of the upper piazza are chamfered, in the style of the latter part of the 19th century. The house remained with Francis and his descendants until 1964. Francis' heirs conveyed the property to John D. Muller, at which time the property contained, in addition to the 2-story frame house, a single-story store building on the southeast corner of the property that was apparently built after 1894. Muller restored the house as a rental unit. .
File contains newspaper article (DYKYC).
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|