|Title||92 Church Street (Alexander Christie House)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed ca. 1805; renovated 1908, late-1980s. The houses at 90-94 Church Street were called by the late architectural historian Samuel G. Stoney "three variations on the theme of the Charleston 'single house.'" Each reflect the development of the single house from the mid-18th century. The clients who contracted for the three 3-story brick houses -- Leger, Christie, and Cooper -- were all wealthy and socially prominent individuals whose architectural aspirations, according to one architectural historian, defined Charleston's early townhouses as "a union of cosmopolitan and vernacular building traditions." While 90 and 94 Church Street were used commercially, the taller of the three at 92 Church Street was used solely as a residence for a Scottish merchant in the early 19th-century, built in the Adamesque style. Each of the three edifices, retains splendid original woodwork. The house remained in possession of the Christie family until the middle of the 19th century ; it was then purchased by St. Philip's Church in 1906 and became the rectory of St. Philip's Church.
File contains FOHG house history (1991); other narrative histories, including from Information for Guides of Historic Charleston; newspaper article (DYKYC).
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|
|Object ID #||CHURCH.092.1|