|Title||56-58 Broad Street (National Freedman's Savings Bank)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed ca. 1800 and ca. 1798 respectively; altered 1890. Built by the attorney John Geddes, this building originally served both residential and commercial functions. From 1869 to 1874, 58 Broad housed the National Freedman's Savings Bank, a national bank for African Americans. The Charleston branch, one of thirty in the nation, had 5,500 depositors and approximately $350,000 in deposits in 1873. In 1890, 56 and 58 Broad obtained the facade that is visible today, although its pressed metal cornice was removed in the mid-twentieth century.
File contains newspaper article (DYKYC); building history from Information for Guides of Historic Charleston (1984); building history from City of Charleston Tour Guide Training Manual (2011); captioned photograph of the entrance to 58½ Broad Street (newspaper); Avery Messenger article "Freedman's Savings and Trust Company" by Curtis J. Franks (2006); brief historical research notes by Louis Green (1969); Rosen and Associates (engineers) inspection report (2001).
Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|
|Object ID #||BROAD.056-58.001|