|Object ID #||BROAD.110.001|
|Title||110 Broad Street (William Harvey House a/k/a Ralph Izard House)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed ca. 1728; altered ca. 1800, 1837; renovated 1981, 1985. Escaping the great fires of the 18th and 19th centuries, 110 Broad Street stands as an example of a relatively intact pre-Revolutionary structure. The merchant's house plan follows that of 92 Broad Street and other large dwellings of the pre-1740 period with a front office entry and a chambered rear stair hall ascending to a second story dominated by a large front drawing room and smaller withdrawing room. The house is composed of thick masonry walls accentuated by corner quoins and rises three stories to a bellcast hipped roof, pierced by large chimneys with corbeled caps. The Harveys, the builders, leased this substantial dwelling to royal governor James Glen from 1743 to 1756. Notable exterior changes were made about 1800, including the Neoclassical fanlighted front door with delicate gougework surround and second story wrought-iron balcony. The yard includes a variety of former dependencies, including a Gothic style carriage house on a garden lot subdivided by the second owners, the Izards, from the Lining property in 1796, a privy and kitchen building with original cooking fireplace, bake oven, and warming oven. Ralph Stead Izard sold the house in 1837 to his aunt Mary and her husband, Ambassador Joel Poinsett, famous for bringing the poinsettia back from Mexico. The Poinsetts lived here and added several imported Italian marble mantels to the interior before selling to Judge Mitchell King.
Three files contain documentation of the easement on the property (exterior provisions) including related correspondence and Confirmation of Understanding; Part I certification (National Register); annual inspection reports; requests for alterations; correspondence related to the management of the property; FOHG house history (1982); newspaper article (DYKYC, 1978); excerpt from 60 Famous Houses; house history from Architectural Guide to Charleston; photocopies of plat and Sanborn maps; Symphony Designer House program (1981); copies of interior and exterior photos (2003); excerpt from Charleston Doorways, ca. 1928, including photos and architectural drawings.
See Easement Documentation Photo Files for easement donation photographs (Exh. B to Deed of Conservation Easement). No inspection photographs on file (see Easement Manager).
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
1 Gift Folder
1 Management Folder
1 History/Miscellaneous Folder
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|