|Object ID #||BEAUFAIN.089.001|
|Title||89 Beaufain Street (William G. Steele House)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed 1815-19. William Steele, a lumber merchant, built this late-Neoclassical, 3-story brick single house with a cross-gabled roof in the early 19th century on parcels that were originally part of the Mazyck lands. The house is notable for its elegant detailing, especially the finely carved marble piazza door surround with delicate brackets and the lunette window positioned in the cross gable of the house. Duncan Nathaniel Ingraham was a later owner of the house. He achieved an international reputation for diplomacy, and after resigning from the U.S. Navy at the beginning of the Civil War, he supervised construction of two ironclads for the Confederacy.
File contains brief narrative house history (source and date not indicated); house history from Information for Guides of Historic Charleston; newspaper article (DYKYC) "Naval Hero Owned 89 Beaufain Street"; BAR application for restoration, including architectural drawings; copy of newspaper photograph of doorway (from scrapbook 2007.020.9).
Some documents copied to pdf; see Multimedia link.
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|