|Title||81 Ashley Avenue (Heriot-Grimball House)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed 1852-60. Catherine Heriot's trust estate acquired this large corner lot from Albert Elfe in the late 1850s. Shortly afterward, construction began on a large 2½ story side-hall-plan house on a raised basement with a fenced garden on the south. The structure stands on a masonry foundation and the 2-story wood portion is surmounted by a closed gable with a tripartite window and shaded by a double-tiered Tuscan-columned piazza. In the late 19th century Italianate brackets were apparently added to the cornice of all elevations. The house became the property of Mrs. M.A. Grimball by 1872, eventually becoming the property of her son Berkley Grimball and her daughters, who held onto the site until 1902. Twentieth century alterations include the enclosure of piazza's ground story and the addition of rear bays on its other tiers. Elfe apparently kept the lot to the north at 83 Ashley Avenue for himself. Before the War Between the States, he constructed a 2½ story Charleston single house, which also has a double-tiered side piazza. In the 1880s or 1890s the gable roof was changed to a full mansard roof with decoratively bracketed dormers and slate shingles.
File contains HCF staff research notes.
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Object ID #||ASHLEY.081.001|