|Title||Ashley Avenue (General)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Ashley Avenue was first laid out as Lynch Street, for Thomas Lynch, in 1770, as one of the streets of the Village of Harleston. After the Revolution, the street from Calhoun north was called Paine or Payne. In 1791, as it crossed Elliott (now Spring Street) Street, it was called Thomas. The street from Line Street to Congress, in the Village of Washington, was called Legare Street. In 1869, Lynch Street was extended south to Broad Street, and still later to Tradd. In 1897, the name Ashley Avenue was applied to the length of the street. (Source: Charleston Streets, website)
File contains newspaper article dated 5/5/1957, on the "new look" of sections of Ashley Avenue.
No image on file.
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|
|Object ID #||ASHLEY.GEN.001|