|Object ID #||CHURCH.074.1|
|Title||74 Church Street (Russell-Dehon Tenement)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed ca. 1782-88; various 20th century renovations. This simple 2-story wooden single house with a closed gable roof served as a replacement for an earlier building that burned in the fire of 1778. Although the builder is unclear, the heirs of Sarah Russell Dehon, then living in the Russell House at 51 Meeting Street, sold this rental dwelling in 1852 from the group of properties held by the intermarried Hopton and Russell families on Tradd Street and Longitude Lane. Apparently, the Russell-Dehon Tenement was one of a pair of similar single houses; the other at the south corner of the lot bordering the lane has been lost. Longitude Lane, one of the surviving small alleys of the original city, formerly accessed rear buildings for the lots on Tradd Street as well as individual structures. Prior to construction of 51 Meeting Street, the Nathaniel Russell family lived at the northwest corner of Longitude and East Bay Street.
File contains FOHG house history (undated, 2003); narrative history by Louis Nelson (undated) ; updated historical research by Sarah Fick, including maps and plats (2010). See Multimedia Link for both narrative histories.
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|