|Title||2 Broad Street|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
The building that had been at the northwest corner of Broad and East Bay Streets dates back as far as 1778 and had a long and useful career. In 1960, the buildings at 2, 4, 6, and 8 Broad Street and 123 and 125 East Bay Streets were combined to form one building. Occupants included the headquarters for horse-drawn cars, a book store, a liquor store, the plant of an early local newspaper, and in the 20th century, the J.S. Pinkussohn Cigar Store, Demos Brothers Restaurant, and the Marcus Rexall Drug Store. The drug store burned down in 1963.* In the 1990s, South Carolina National Bank gradually expanded its facilities to occupy the whole north side of the block of Broad Street from East Bay to State Streets. SCNB then merged with Wachovia Bank, which merged with Wells Fargo; Wells Fargo still occupies the building. (Source: Charleston Evening Post, 12/31/1963, The Old Codgers' Address Book, 1900-1999.)
Needs further research.
File contains excerpts from Resources & Attractions of Charleston (1898), one featuring the Chamber of Commerce and the featuring J.M. Phillips Cigar and Tobacco Co. (each illustrated with the image in this record); occupancy history (1990-1999) from Old Codgers' Charleston Address Book; newspaper article about the fire that destroyed the building (Evening Post, 12/31/1963).
*After the drug store building burned down in the 1960s, there was controversy about the size of what to build in its place. A temporary garden was developed. (Per P.C. Coker, Oct. 2013.) See photos of the garden, 2013.017.2.
Image #2 from Guide to Charleston Illustrated, 1875.
Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston
Demolished buildings, lost buildings
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|
|Object ID #||BROAD.002.001|