|Title||Calhoun Street (General)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
From Charleston's Streets website, origin of name: Calhoun Street is named for John C. Calhoun, the "Great Nullifier. " Originally the eastern portion of the street was Boundary Street, as after the Revolution it marked the northern extent of the city. The area above Boundary Street was known as Charleston Neck. The portion west of King Street was called Manigault Street, for Peter Manigault, speaker of the House. The entire length of the street became Calhoun Street after the city limit was extended to Mount Pleasant street in 1849.
File contains a few miscellaneous newspapers articles about the development of and on Calhoun Street; newspaper articles about a proposed building at 80 Calhoun Street; Census (date?) listing Calhoun Street residents.
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|
|Object ID #||CALHOUN.GEN.01|