|Object ID #||BULL.066.001|
|Title||66 Bull Street (John Cart House)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed ca. 1819. John Cart, a prosperous fuel merchant dealing in lumber and coal, built this three-bay 2½-story Charleston single house nearly two decades after acquiring the lot through the will of his sister-in-law Ann Tighe. Although a number of Neoclassical decorations survive on the interior, only the beaded weatherboarding and the nine-over-nine windows on the piazza side evidence the construction date of the house. Greek Revival changes including the piazza and piazza door screen were probably added by Cart before his death in the 1840s. The house descended to Cart's daughter, and it then went through several owners and tenants. These included William Tarrant, who operated a school for boys in the house for almost 20 years; Mrs. E.A. St. Amand, a dancing teacher; Professor F.W. Ortmann, a music teacher; and, in the 20th century Walton Locke, a classical pianist.
File contains HCF staff research notes (scant).
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|