|Object ID #||CLIFFORD.GEN.1|
|Title||Clifford Street, a/k/a Dutch Church Alley|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Established before 1788. This short thoroughfare running between Archdale Street and King Street was formerly known as Dutch Church Alley due to the adjacent St. John's Lutheran Church. It was later named for John Clifford, who owned property at its eastern end. Casimir Patrick, a German tradesman who lived in Harleston Village, built the 2½ story weatherboarded single house at 24 Clifford Street by 1827 using elaborate late-Federal woodwork on its interior. Several lots to the east, the dwelling at 16 Clifford Street, was built in 1859-60 by the master house builder Albert Elfe as a tenement. This small-scale rubbed brick single-house was restored in recent years with a 2nd story balcony instead of a piazza.
File contains street history (Units of Charleston, n.d.); 1886 earthquake damage assessment for 21 Clifford Alley.
See Media link for above information and excerpts from "City of Charleston Tour Guide Training Manual" and "African Americans and Charleston."
Clifford Alley/Clifford Street
Dutch Church Alley
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|