|Title||38 Broad Street|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
The State Bank of South Carolina was chartered at this location in 1801 and is presumed to have erected this building for its use. (There is a possibility it was built prior to that date by Dr. Philip Tidyman who sold the property to the State Bank for £4,000.) The State Bank was chartered as a private corporation, but the General Assembly elected 3 of the 15 directors, exchanged $300,000 in state bonds for an equal amount of the bank's $800,000 of stock, and required all state funds and public and court moneys of Charleston and Charleston District to be deposited in the State Bank. In 1816, the State Bank sold this building and moved to larger quarters at present-day 28 Broad Street. The Victorian facade was apparently added soon after 1877, when the property was purchased by Edward Barnwell as trustee.
File contains building history from Information for Guides of Historic Charleston; historical research notes (undated, unattributed); "Photographs of Defects at 38/40 Broad Street" (1991) by Rosen & Associates.
Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston
Bank buildings--South Carolina--Charleston
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Object ID #||BROAD.038.001|