|Title||Broad Street (General)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Broad Street was just that, the broadest street in Charles Town. The street was 61 feet wide at the intersection of East Bay and 100 feet wide between St. Michael's Church and the Beef Market, which stood on the site of City Hall. Records during the period, 1698 to 1714 interchangeably, refer to Broad Street and Cooper Street, presumably for Lord Anthony Ashley Cooper. (Charleston Streets website)
File contains history of Broad Street (excerpt from Charleston Streets); HCF walking tour brochure "Broad Street, Charleston, South Carolina, a Walking Adventure"; plats of Broad Street (south side between King and Meeting, 95 Broad Street, Broad and Meeting); newspaper article outlining Broad Street history in time; excerpts featuring Broad Street from "Resources & Attractions of Charleston" (ca. 1898), including photographs (Broad Street looking west from East Bay and of the residence portion of Broad Street (170 block); newspaper article about Anderson Lumber Company (office at 305 Broad Street) (Mercury, Nov. 2015), and excerpt from Old Codgers Charleston Address Book (foot of Broad at Ashley Avenue).
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Object ID #||BROAD.GEN.001|