|Title||238-242 King Street (Hotel Calhoun)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed shortly after the 1838 fire, 238-242 King was the largest group of buildings on the site of the development of Charleston Center [Charleston Place]. The substantial building with Greek Revival lines anchored the bend of King Street. Location of Hotel Calhoun from ? to ca. 1910?. Other occupants: from 1910-1930, M. Furchgott 's & Sons; 1910-1950, S.C. National Guard Armory / Co. B 118th Infantry / Washington Light Infantry of S.C.; from 1940-1970, J.C. Penney Co.
No additional building history on file. Need further research.
File contains newspaper article (DYKYC 1978); photocopies of 3 photographs (2 from HABS/Library of Congress and 1 from Zacharias donation); HABS architectural drawings (floor plans and elevations); occupancy history from Old Codgers' Charleston Address Book.
Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston
Lost architecture--South Carolina--Charleston
Department stores--South Carolina--Charleston
Commercial buildings--South Carolina--Charleston
Demolished buildings, lost buildings
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|
|Object ID #||KING.238-242.1|