|Title||288 Meeting Street (Gabriel Manigault House)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed ca. 1802. Two and a half story frame house on brick basement, located at the southeast corner of Meeting Street and George Street.
Demolished in the 1920s and replaced with a gas station, the demolition of this building was one of the inspirations for city council's enactment of America's first historic zoning ordinance in 1931 and to create the nation's first historic district and Architectural Review. The brick and other elements (columns, balusters, and window surrounds) saved from the demolition were used in HCF's Frances R. Edmunds Center for Historic Preservation at 108 Meeting Street. (Source: BOC)
File contains narrative history (undated, unattributed); excerpt from manuscript about Greek Revival architecture that refers to the house; photocopies of photographs of the house; copies of architectural drawings (by Samuel G. Stoney); miscellaneous sketches of architectural features (unattributed, undated); newspaper articles (1984-85) about plans for construction of C of C dormitories and condominiums at the site and correspondence and other documentation related to HCF's opposition to the proposed plans; newspaper article (1988) about the office building to be constructed at the site; outline specifications for approved construction at the site (Liollio Architects, 1988).
Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston
Lost architecture--South Carolina--Charleston
Demolished buildings, lost buildings
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Object ID #||MEETING.288.1|