|Object ID #||CHURCH.013.01|
|Title||13 Church Street (Thomas Ball House)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed before 1800; restored 1990-92. Standing on land owned in the early-18th century by Landgrave Thomas Smith, one of the most powerful figures in colonial Charleston, most of the houses in this area of Church Street were built after the Revolution. The building at 13 Church shows a rare survival of a clipped gambrel or jerkin head roof, and its interior reflects late-Georgian, post-Revolutionary details with alterations made in the early-19th century. Thomas Ball's executor's deed in 1820 describes the structure as a wooden house in need of repairs. The property was owned and rented out by Harriet Schutt, daughter of the builder of 51 East Bay Street, and her husband, Robert T. Chisolm; they conveyed the property to wealthy slave trader Thomas N. Gadsden in 1834. Gadsden lived here before moving to 116 Broad Street in the mid-1840s.
File contains FOHG house histories (undated, 2009); chain-of-title; photocopy of 7/31/1968 plat.
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|