|Title||50 Broad Street (Bank of South Carolina)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed 1798; earthquake damage and changes, 1886; partially restored 1966. The Bank of South Carolina constructed this T-shaped building in 1797-98. A pedimented central pavilion projects from the front facade on the street, with the principal entry delineated by a white marble arch. Window lintels, voussoirs, and a belt course are also of white marble. The Bank of South Carolina sold the building to the Charleston Library Society, the nation's third-oldest institution of its kind, in 1836. The Library Society housed its collections here until its move to King Street in 1914, selling the building to the Chamber of Commerce. The structure was partially restored by a bank in the 1970s.
File contains a variety of narrative building histories, including "hostess notes (undated) presumably referred to in a past FOH tour, and building history from Information for Guides of Historic Charleston; National Register Nomination Form; title research notes; copy of drawing of the Citizens & Southern National Bank of S.C.; newspaper article (DYKYC); section of a publication (identity not indicated) about the Charleston Library Society, including photo; Preservation Progress article "Banking on History" (1967) and photo of building (1969); architectural drawings dated 13 October, 2003; copy of photo of "Charleston Library Building" from "Resources & Attractions of Charleston" (ca. 1898).
Image #2 from Guide to Charleston Illustrated, 1875.
Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston
Bank buildings--South Carolina--Charleston
National Register of Historic Places
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|
|Object ID #||BROAD.050.001|