|Title||12 Bee Street|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Three-story Greek Revival brick double house built in 1858 by a prosperous rice miller. It has served as a maternity hospital (Mercy Maternity Hospital) and as a ladies home (Episcopal Home for Women). The builder was William Robb, a partner in the East Point Mills which stood at the foot of Laurens Street on the Cooper River; he is listed as living at the location in the 1859 city directory and bought the property on which the house stands in 1858. The site was then part of 11 building lots, fronting on Rutledge, Bee, and Ashley, which Thomas D. Condy offered for sale. The land was one of the few natural high points in the marshy tract of land which Daniel Cannon acquired in the 1760s.
File contains newspaper articles "12 Bee St. is to be Sold by Church" (1/27/1975) (DYKYC) and "Bee St. Home to Close Sept. 30" (7/21/1978); National Register Nomination Form; house history from City of Charleston Tour Guide Training Manual (2011).
Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston
Maternity hospitals--South Carolina--Charleston
Radcliffeborough and Cannonborough
National Register of Historic Places
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|
|Object ID #||BEE.012.1|