Historic Charleston Foundation logo

images banner
images banner small

Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Object ID # GIBBES.006.1
Title 6 Gibbes Street (Parker-Drayton House a/k/a Drayton-Manigault House a/k/a Francis G. Boggs House)
Object Type Property File
Scope & Content Constructed ca. 1806; altered 1820s. Isaac Parker, a planter and brickyard owner, built this substantial Neoclassical villa in 1806. When it was sold in 1820 to Col. William Drayton, the new owner extended the building to the east and west and probably added the large bowed front piazzas. Drayton moved his family to Philadelphia in 1837, and Charles Manigault, son of the architect Gabriel Manigault, purchased the house. Manigault filled the house with art collected in Europe as well as family heirlooms. His son Louis Manigault became a distinguished scientist and professor at the College of Charleston. Before the filling of the western edge of the peninsula, the windows of the house looked out over the marshes to the Ashley River.

File contains FOHG house histories (1948, two undated); FOHG garden history (1994); newspaper articles (149-1969); house history from Information for Guides of Historic Charleston; house history from Architectural Guide to Charleston (Simons & Thomas); SCDAH Architectural Inventory Form; photocopies of photographs including HABS; Sanborn maps (1884, 1888, 1902, 1944 revision, 1951 update).
Subjects Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston
Search Terms Gibbes Street
Eighteenth-Century Expansion
Physical Description 1 File Folder
Related Records Show Related Records...