|Object ID #||CHURCH.095-101.1|
|Title||95-101 Church Street (Charleston Improvement Corporation Houses)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed 1906-07. Although residential throughout the 20th century, the parcel now encompassed by 93-101 Church Street was formerly owned by the Charleston Hydraulic Press Company, and during the second half of the 19th century it encompassed a large industrial complex. In 1906 the Charleston Improvement Corporation purchased the property. This entity, led by businessman Tristram T. Hyde (later mayor of Charleston), was responsible for the construction of many mid-sized houses throughout Charleston between 1906 and 1930, including those nearby at 52 Tradd Street and 9 St. Michael's Alley. The company produced these structures, their most extensive development, with similar Queen Anne style gable ends and front piazzas and varied them slightly with double-tiered porches at 93 Church Street (now gone) and 97 Church Street, and pedimented entries and side piazzas at 95 and 99 Church Street. A fifth dwelling at 101 Church Street, used as a restaurant on the ground floor, burned and was replaced by the current parking lot.
Files contain brief narrative history; Sanborn map (no date provided); 1992 memo from HCF staff with scant historical research/chain-of-title information.
As a relatively new easement property, the files will eventually contain additional information such as annual inspection reports, requests for alterations, and correspondence related to the management of the property. Easement inspection photos will be housed in the Easement Inspection Photo file cabinet.
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
|Physical Description||1 FIle Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|