|Object ID #||CHURCH.075-77.1|
|Title||75-77 Church Street (Louis Danjou House and Carriage House/Brewton's Corner)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed ca. 1810; renovated ca. 1925; some subsequent restoration. Built by the grocer Louis Danjou, an immigrant born in Cluny, France, on the site of a wooden house built by the Brewton family and on a spot usually called Brewton's Corner, this building functioned as both a commercial and residential space from the early-19th century to the mid-20th century. The ground-floor rooms functioned successively as a grocery, a doctor's receiving room (for the antebellum physician Dr. Peter Porcher), a school (the Gaud School, forerunner of today's Porter-Gaud School), and a series of antique shops. The Church Street entrance of the 3½ story, Flemish bond brick building consists of a finely crafted doorway lit by a transom with curved wooden muntins, one of the oldest intact commercial entrances in the city. Rented as a winter residence in 1928 by Loutrel Briggs, the noted landscape architect, and his wife, the house and adjacent properties on Tradd and Church Streets were subsequently renovated as an inn, for decades a popular hostelry for spring visitors. In the 1920s the street end of the piazza was closed off and Loutrel Briggs designed the plan for the courtyard garden. The original carriage house at 75 Church Street retains its arched door openings, and though still part of the property, it has been renovated as a separate residence.
Three files contain documentation of the easement on the property including related correspondence and Confirmation of Understanding; Part I certification (National Register); FOH House history (1999); other narrative histories; newspaper articles including DYKYC and another from 1929 describing its restoration and calling it the Carolina Coffee House); house history from Information for Guides of Historic Charleston; historical/chain-of-title research notes; measured drawings of interior architectural details (Kenneth Clark, 1928).
The files will also eventually include annual inspection reports, requests for alterations, and correspondence and other documentation related to the management of the property.
See Easement Documentation Photo Files for easement donation photographs (Exh. B to Deed of Conservation Easement). No inspection photographs on file (see Easement Manager).
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
1 Gift Folder
1 Management Folder
1 History/Miscellaneous Folder
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|